Rental forms for the state of Alaska##
Holding and receipt for Alaska(US)##
This form is used when the tenant has paid a deposit to the landlord to hold a particular property with the intention of renting it. This is used before a lease is signed. The form creates a legal agreement and specifies the both the rights and obligations of both the tenant and the landlord. for Alaska(US)
Consent to Background and Reference Check for Alaska(US)##
Gives the landlord permission to call to previous landlords, for the purposes of doing a background and referene check. This is used for the purpose of verifying the information in the rental application before renting a house to the tenant. This form carefully limits the information that can be shared. That inforamtion should be directly related to the qualifications of the tenant and nothing more. This ensures that extraneous and possibily sensitive information, or information that can be discriminatory is not shared for Alaska(US)
Tenant Rights in the state of Alaska##
Tenant and landlord relationship in the State of Alaska is governed by The Alaska Landlord & Tenant Act. Some key things to keep in mind
- Landlords in Alaska can not charge for more than two months' rent for security deposit expect if the rent is more than $2000 per month.
do nothave to pay interest on the security deposits held by them.
- Landlords can charge extra for a
Pet Depositbased on their decretion. This does not apply if you can provde that your pet is a service animal. The
Pet Depositcan not be more than 1 month's rent.
Some definitions, as laid out in this act.
- Dwelling unit, property or premises: the place that is rented out. It includes a house, appartment, condo, mobile home, or mobile home park space.
Landlord: the person who rents out the property, or their agent.
Tenant: One or more people who lives in the property, or their agent.
Security Deposit: A deposit that the landlord holds in order to secure the tenancy.
Some tips that are outlined in this document are
- get a written agreement
- The agreement should include
- Names and addresses of people authorized to manage the premises
- the name and address of the tenant(s)
- how many tenants and pets are to occupy the unit
- who holds the deposit
- reasons the deposit or a portion of it may be retained by the landlord
- the amount to be paid for rent and deposits
- when, where, and how the rent is to be paid
- when the rent is considered delinquent, and what the penalty will be for late payment
What is illegal##
Illegal provisions in an agreement can not be enforced. It does not matter that both the parties have signed the agreement or not.
Read about Alaska's eviction ban for the COVID-19 pandemic.Tenant and landlord relationship in the State of Alaska is governed by The Alaska Landlord & Tenant Act. This act defines things like the security deposit. Except for units renting for more than $2,000 per month, security deposits and prepaid rents may not total more than two months’ rent. Deposits and prepaid rent must be deposited by the landlord or the property manager in a trust account in a bank or savings and loan association, or with a licensed escrow agent.
List of legal resources for a Alaska US##
- This publication summarizes landlord and tenant rights and obligations under Alaska law. In accordance with Alaska Statute (AS) 44.23.020(b)(8) it has been approved by the Alaska Department of Law.
The Alaska Landlord & Tenant Act##
- You can reach out to the COnsumer Protection Unit, of the Alaksa Department of Law if you find that either the landlord or tenant is not acting in accordance with the law. The page lists various resources that can help you. You can find claim for damages of $10,000 or less without a lawyer in the Small Claims Court.
Alaska Department of law - Consumer Protection Unit##
- Low-income tenants can call Alaska Legal Services Corporation (ALSC) for help. If your landlord is trying to evict you, be sure you mention the eviction when you call Alaska Legal Services. Visit ALSC’s website to find the telephone number for your local ALSC office. ALSC assists clients who are facing critical civil legal issues ranging from consumer law, family law, housing problems, public benefits, healthcare, Alaska Native law, and other areas specific to veterans or the elderly.
Alaska Legal Services Corporation (ALSC)##
- This page is provided by the Alaska Bar association. It lists various kinds of lawyers and how to find a lawyer in Alaska. You can also find a list of lawyers in the state of Alaska.
How to select a laywer in Alaska (Alaska Bar Association)##